Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:07:50 -0800
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD-friendly laptops (was: laptop compatibility list)

I had talked with Giorgos Keramidas of the FreeBSD team some
months back about working up some more documentation for mobile
FreeBSD use. Sadly, real life has intruded, as it often does, and
I've made very little progress.

My idea was simply to use http-upload to take kernel and Xfree86
configs for a given model and let that serve as reference material
for anyone who comes across a given model and wants to get started
using it. From that, one could infer some compatibility info about
  video chipsets, device controllers, et al, but knowing that a
given set of config files were known to work on a given machine is
a good start.

With each upload, there would be an option to add comments about
the particular hardware, what worked and what didn't, but given
that most FreeBSD users are pretty self-sufficient and we have
these excellent mailing lists, the config files would work in most
cases.

Would that be useful as a first step? I have my config files
posted on my personal site and they'll been accessed a few times:
that seems encouraging to me.

--
Paul Beard
<http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>;

I must have slipped a disk -- my pack hurts