Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:25:51 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        "Gregory A. Gilliss" <ggilliss@netpublishing.com>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Brilliant and very useful for FreeBSD, IMHO

This is a reply to this entire thread, not just the original posting.

The original question was "does FreeBSD currently meet this users goals?"
I would have to say no, it probably does not. But I think the real
question is "do we want it to meet this users goal?"

Im a big fan of FreeBSD. I use it every day. I have converted half of
my coworkers from religions such as Sun, Linux, NT or Novell to
FreeBSD. I try to help out on mailinglists and forums whenever I get
the time and know the answers. I buy every release on CD eventhough
most of them are still shrinkwrapped and never used. Basically, Im
just one of the regular die-hard BSD fanatics you all know and love(?) ;).
Still, my desktop runs XP. My laptop runs XP. My computer at work runs
w2k. They are workstations. I use them to read email, browse the web
and play games. I want them to show me pretty colorfull icons and do
all the thinking for me. When I go home or go to bed, I turn them off.
FreeBSD could probably do this for me, and in fact, a few of them do
dualboot to fbsd even if its extremely rare. It would require a lot
more time and tweaking to get things setup correctly if I had to run
FreeBSD all the time. With Windows I just point and click a few times
and things happen.  So what if I have to format and reinstall
everything everytime the guys in Redmond decide to change the color of
the gui, I have absolutely nothing of importance on my workstations.
Everything with even the slightest bit of value is safely tucked away
on a fileserver somewhere. All my mails are stored on a IMAP server.
My documentation is on the intranet website and my source code in the
cvs repository. Guess what os all those servers run? It aint windows.

FreeBSD is the most stable and reliable os I ever experienced, and I
have tested most of them. Sun might give it a good fight, but then
again Sun requires the budget of a small country where FreeBSD is one
of very few os's that are truely free, both in price and license.
The financial department loves FreeBSD's pricetag, the techies loves
its ease of maintanance and upgrading, and I sleep well at night
knowing my servers will keep running forever without glitches.
I love FreeBSD, but not even I would get the idea to run it as a
desktop. It's not good at it, and if someone asks for my opinion, I
hope it never will be.
Even Microsoft have realised that it takes a different os to run a
server then a desktop. They have a plethora of different editions,
like XP Home Edition and W2K Advanced Server. As long as FreeBSD
excels on servers, chances are it will not make a perfect desktop.
I say we have enough desktop os's, lets keep FreeBSD kicking ass on
the servers.