Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:04:34 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD PortManager <portmgr@freebsd.org>
Subject:   m4-macros for different versions in /usr/local/share/aclocal?

Hi,

I'm creating a port which requires aclocal to be run before
automake. I run in a few problems with it and further research
let me know, that all ports which comes with some macros for
aclocal put them into /usr/local/share/aclocal.

I run into a problem with aclocal17 and missing macros for
gettext and libtool and conflicting macro definitions in
libtool13.m4 and libtool14.m4.

I think, their must be a better solution as the existing.

One step could be, putting the aclocal self related macros
into a directory which is ever named as the aclocal
/usr/local/share/aclocal{14,15,17}/ version and put port
additions ever to /usr/local/share/aclocal/. Or the ports
put their additions to /usr/local/share/aclocal/${port}/
and eg. USE_LIBTOOL extends ACLOCAL_SEARCH_DIR to according
directory. ACLOCAL_ARGS will be extended by the resulting
search path, each dir prepended by the '-I' parameter
(using REINPLACE).

The consequence would be, that each of those ports must
have a USE_${PORT} equivalent und bsd.port.mk (or included
.mk of it, eg. bsd.gnome.mk).

What does the rest of FreeBSD ports people think about that?

Best regards,
Jens