Date:      Fri, 18 May 2018 19:58:10 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

[ Cross posted to freebsd-current@ and freebsd-x11@.  Please respect=20
reply-to and send all replies to freebsd-x11@.  Thanks! ]

Hi!
I propose that we remove the old drm2 driver (sys/dev/drm2) from=20
FreeBSD.  I suggest the driver is marked as deprecated in 11.x and=20
removed from 12.0, as was done for other drivers recently.  Some=20
background and rationale:

The drm2 driver was the original port of a KMS driver to FreeBSD.  It=20
was done by Konstantin Belousov to support Intel graphics cards, and=20
later extended by Jean-S=C3=A9bastien P=C3=A9dron as well as Konstantin t=
o match=20
what's in Linux 3.8.  This included unstable support from Haswell, but=20
nothing newer than that.

For quite some time now we have had the graphics/drm-stable-kmod and=20
graphics/drm-next-kmods which provides support for modern AMD and Intel=20
graphics cards.  These ports, together with the linuxkpi, or lkpi, has=20
made it significantly easier to port and update our graphics drivers.=20
Further, these new drivers cover the same drivers as the old drm2 driver.

What does the community think?  Is there anyone still using the drm2=20
driver on 12-CURRENT?  If so, what is preventing you from switching to=20
the port?

Thank you
Regards
--=20