Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2020 14:16:57 +0100
From:      Jos Chrispijn <bsduser@cloudzeeland.nl>
To:        Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rm | Cleaning up recycle bin

On 23-2-20 14:11, Mark Blackman wrote:

> What goal are you trying to achieve?

Actually I might be stuck in 'Windows mode' here (grin). Just want to be
sure that I free up available space as much as I can.

The ‘rm’ command will free up the space associated with the file as long
as nothing else is holding open the file.  The raw data will remain on
the disk until something else needs the space.

I see; is that ZFS behavior or goes that for all BSD file systems?

Are you looking for a secure erase where no data is left behind?
Generally that requires removing the entire filesystem. There’s no
utility which will zero out the blocks. The general principle is like a
whiteboard that you abandon, you no longer expect to find the whiteboard
taking up space, but what’s written on the whiteboard is not erased,
just the ability to find the whiteboard through the filesystem.

Thanks for explaining.
Best, Jos