Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:20:03 -0800
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do I build an a.out kld?

At 08:33 PM 12/27/98 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> 1.  I can build an ELF kernel.  My understanding is that this will
>>     also require me to install the new style boot blocks.  Correct?
>>     If so, is there any documentation on what to do here?
>
>Correct.
>
>1. cd /sys/boot && make all install
>2. disklabel -B da0 (or whatever your boot disk is).
>
>Make sure you're also running a -current disklabel.  Set KERNFORMAT=elf
>in /etc/make.conf if you want to turn this on by default.

I just upgraded to an ELF kernel, updated the boot blocks, and everything
boots up great, except the new boot loader appears to be looking for a
/boot/boot.conf (fails, then waits for 8 seconds, then boots /kernel).  I
noticed I have a zero-length /boot.config file - should I move that to
/boot/boot.conf?

I also noticed that although I had KERNFORMAT set to elf in my environment
and KERNFORMAT=elf in /etc/make.conf, while configing and then building the
kernel I had to set KERNFORMAT in the compile directory's Makefile before
it would actually build an elf kernel.  Perhaps a "make KERNFORMAT=elf" was
necessary?

	Brian