Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:53:55 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 100Mbit ethernet card comparision

At 02:53 PM 2/8/99 +0100, Martin Cracauer wrote:

>I just had three 100MBit/sec ethernet cards in reach and though I
>could do a little experimenting:
>
>Operating Systems:
>FreeBSD: FreeBSD-current from Jan, 22, 1999 (before 4.0 branch)
>Linux: 2.2.0-pre9, userland mostly Debian-1.3.1
>
>Ethernet cards:
>de - DEC 21140
>fxp - Intel 82558
>rl - Realtek 8139

[SNIP]

>OS      Card	MioByte/sec	%user	%sys	%interrupt
>Linux	de	10.93-10.96	3	26-28	-
>FreeBSD	de	10.70-10.72	3	29-31	4-5
>FreeBSD	fxp	10.66-10.67	3	25-28	5-6
>FreeBSD rl	10.55-10.56	3	28-31	14-16
>Linux	rl	10.85-11.14	3	28-30	-
>Linux	fxp	doesn't work

Very interesting. I'm surprised that there is so little difference
between the cards! I'd been given to understand that the fxp driver
was significantly more efficient than de or especially rl, but it
seems not to matter in practice. Maybe I should buy more of those
cheap rl cards.

--Brett

"Rules? This is the Internet." -- Dan Gillmor