Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:33:27 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Mark Bermal" <mbermal@ucsd.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Generic Lucent PNP modem (winmodem?)

At 05:54 PM 2/22/99 , Mark Bermal wrote:
>I am having problems setting up a generic Lucent based PCI PNP
>modem. Though the bios finds the modem just fine, the kernel can't
>find it, even though I compiled it w/ pnp support. Also, I read
>something about putting the pnp ID# in the sio.c file, but the problem
>is I don't know what the pnp id# is. My bios shows a bunch of
>numbers at boot denoting the card, is it a combination of those?

Yes, it would be. Something like 4 digits for the manufacturer and 4 digits
for the device type (or modem).

>Though, I have a suspicion that this modem is one of those
>"Winmodems," though the docs and lucent website don't explicitly
>say so. Does anyone know for sure if Lucent based modems are
>"winmodems?" And, if this modem is in fact a "winmodem," what are

I've had to install some LT WinModem (Lucent Winmodems). If you're
suspicious, look at the Win95 driver disk's .INF file and look at some of
the descriptions in there.

>some modem recommendations for a V.90 PCI modem that works
>well under freeBSD?

Not Lucent...

>Are generic PCI V.90 modems based on
>Rockwell chips winmodems? I would like to spend under $50, but if I
>must I could go buy a Diamond Supra or USR modem, but those
>cost an arm and a leg.

Supras are decently priced... about $60 in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Any particular reason you can't get an ISA or an external modem?

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )