Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:33:28 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Chris <chrismar@readington.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0 timeout

At 07:37 PM 3/17/99 , Chris wrote:
>Hey, I just installed FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE from the CDs, went perfectly,
>but I can't seem to get it on the network.
>ed0: device timeout
>
>I realize that this is probably covered in archives, but this not working
>at the moment. :)

Or the manpage...

toy# man 4 ed
ED(4)        FreeBSD Kernel Interfaces Manual (i386 Architecture)        ED(4)

NAME
     ed - high performance ethernet device driver
DIAGNOSTICS
     ed%d: device timeout  Indicates that an expected transmitter interrupt
     didn't occur. Usually caused by an interrupt conflict with another card
     on the ISA bus.

IIRC, bad cabling can also cause device timeout errors.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441