Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:47:19 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Zippy <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

At 10:53 AM 3/19/99 -0600, Steve Price wrote:

>And to use the same argument that I get from the Linux folks here
>when I say they can run Linux binaries under emulation on FreeBSD,
>"Why would I want to run an emulated binary if I can run it on the
>real thing?". [1]  Let's face it the market for Linux is there and
>at least in the minds of many the market for FreeBSD is not.  Why
>would a company write a native FreeBSD binary (for a market that
>doesn't exist) so the market that does exist can run it under
>emulation? [2]

Again, to increase the size of the market. Another big incentive:
they can include tested, BSD-licensed code in their commercial
applications without giving away the farm due to the GPL.

>Your FreeBSDulator for Linux idea will only work if we convince
>them there is a market for FreeBSD and that more people will want
>to use FreeBSD than Linux.

I disagree. If that were true, the emulator wouldn't be needed
at all.

>This is the reason that despite all
>its warts the Linuxulator is probably our best best right now.
>They develop a product for what they believe to be a safe bet and
>get an additional smaller market via emulation for free.

You don't seem to get it. Emulation of a more popular platform
is not a positive; it's a negative! Sales into the FreeBSD
installed base are seen as sales into the Linux installed
base, and native ports never exist. This is what killed OS/2
Warp. We must learn from history: he who emulates is in a
weaker position, not a stronger one.

>What we should be focusing our effort on is getting them to realize
>that the market for FreeBSD *is* there.

We can do that as well. But they won't unless they see native
FreeBSD versions of software selling. (Remember, marketroids are
completely blind to anything other than sales figures.)

>We do that by making them
>take note that when we use the Linux version of their product we do
>so via Linux emulation under FreeBSD.  When we have enough people
>using their product under FreeBSD, then we turn the tables, unveil
>your FreeBSDulator, and announce that since their biggest market is
>FreeBSD they should have a native FreeBSD version.

You can't suddenly "turn the tables" like that. Instead, you must
make gradual, persistent inroads based on your strengths. One
strength that Linux will NEVER have is commercially reusable
BSD-licensed code. If we make it usable for Linux via a FreeBSD
emulation library that runs on Linux, we can start winning binary
ports. And that's key.

--Brett