Date:      Fri, 08 Feb 2002 15:28:39 -0500
From:      Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Working Firewall in halt mode??

	I saw the following article today listed on Slashdot and found this
interesting.

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201d/0201d.htm

	I love the idea and I'd love to find out if this is possible in FreeBSD
like it is in the Linux kernel.  Since I'm not familiar enough with the
inner working of FreeBSD at this point as far as what the kernel and system
can do in a situation like this, I'm wondering if those of you who do know
the heart and core of FreeBSD might research this a bit and find out if
this is doable in FreeBSD??

	Now also, would this require a kernel rebuild/compile to enable IPchains
and IPFW support, or can you do this off a generic kernel?  Currently I
have to recompile my kernel to enable both, but I'd be curious to know if
this would be doable off of just a basic install and generic kernel, cause
if it could be, that would make setting up a firewall not only simpler, but
you could theoretically have one running in like 30-45 minutes rather than
4-6 hours.  :)

	Thanks for the help guys.