Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:59:23 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Mike Atkinson" <mikea@kconline.com>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   LAME domains, sendmail BIND and FreeBSD- its FreeBSD specific it seems (was more strange DNS issues in BIND and STABLE.)-

At 01:09 AM 1/27/2001 -0500, Mike Atkinson wrote:
>Just as a follow up on this thread, we are seeing the same behavior with the
>moody.edu domain and currently have thousands of pieces of undeliverable

OK, after trying out a few things, I think sendmail on FreeBSD is the
actual culprit here.  I downloaded sendmail 8.11.2 from sendmail.org, built
and installed it, used the stock  freebsd.mc file to generate a new .cf...
Lo and behold, this version will deliver to LAME domains.  I had tried the
following combos:

Using the totally LAME domain supercom.ca

STABLE as of a few days ago (Jan 24) stock sendmail + stock BIND: no LAME
delivery
release BIND+ stock sendmail: No delivery
release BIND+ sendmail .8.11.2: I can email LAME domains.
STABLE stock BIND+ sendmail 8.11.2: I can email LAME domains...

So in the end, this seems to be a sendmail issue, not a bind issue, but
seems specific to FreeBSD, as the same versions of sendmail and BIND on a
LINUX box, do not have this problem.

Comments ?  What is different about sendmail on FreeBSD that would account
for this behaviour ?

         ---Mike