Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:17:22 +0100
From:      mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        drosih@rpi.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: [kernel patch] fcntl(...) to close many descriptors

At 10:37 28/01/01 -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

>         generic_syscall("fdcloseall", ....);
>
>In this way it would be clear what the non-portable pieces of code
>are, and the mechanism would be extensible with no changes to
>libraries and syscalls. You could even have dynamically-loaded
>modules implementing new "syscalls".

I see a meachanism like
         new_syscall(str, args) = syscall(hash(str), args)
where hash() is chosen to guarantee unicity (that wouldn't be hard to find).
we then have both performance (working with indexes instead of comparing
strings) like what is currently available, and the flexibility of strings.

Note that this goes in the same dynamic "wind" than loadable modules and
the like: static gets old...

cheers,
mouss