Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 12:48:17 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jail(8) Honeypots

At 08:56 AM 6/25/00 -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> > The thing is a booby-trap. It is somewhat similar to running a simulated
> > "buggy" application with the sole puropse of catching the would-be
> > attackers.
> >
> > I'm not sure if and how much it pays in the long run.
>
>I don't think it would hold up in court, as it would be entrapment.  So
>what would the sense be in setting up a booby-trap?

How so?  Only if you are with a law enforcement agency would it be
entrapment.  At least in the US, but then there is a term similar to
"enticement" (forget the legalese version), which may apply.  Doubtful, but
entirely possible that by attracting bears with a honeypot, which is
surrounded by a fence, which the bear climbs, falls, and then has recourse
to turn around and sue you for tempting it.  Regardless, I'm fairly certain
that the authorities would be interested.

Other than that it does have merit if it distracts script kiddies from
trying for the real stuff, as well as alerting other providers of possibly
hijacked accounts or AUP violations.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve