Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:50:08 -0500
From:      Jim Edwards <smackme@hardwaregroup.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVSup and everything that goes with it

I have been having a heck of a time getting up to speed with FreeBSD. I ma
replacing a RH 5.2 internet server with a new system. A friend turned me on
to FreeBSD. I'm sort of glad after seeing the results of a RH7 install. But
time is not in my side. I am to ship this box tomorrow. I must have
installed 4.2 release a good dozen times by now trying to get a nice clean
up to date basic install. I have learned a tremendous amount about bsd already.

My problem is with the time restraints I have to try and reduce the
learning curve via rtfm and scouring the FreeBSD list(s) archive. So I come
to you guys direct. :)

I found this in the archives. It seams like the most straight forward
install and update procedure I have ever seen. I do have some questions
about it though. I will be using some of the text in line below the link.

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=782815+0+archive/2001/freebsd-stable/20010211.freebsd-stable

I do belive it orginated from "From: "Jim Levie"
<jim@chaos.entrophy-free.net> "
If not, sorry. I am hoping that the original author can supply some of the
answers.

Quote:
>It may not be the most ideal, but I have the following in my supfile: kept
>in the directory, /usr/local/etc/cvsup
>....................................... #*default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
and this...
>I keep my cvsup and release file in /usr/sup and run the cvsup with
>"cvsup /usr/sup/supfile".
(do we mean refuse and not release?)
So which is it? /usr/local/etc/cvsup or /usr/sup Or is it both?

Quote:
>My /etc/make.conf looks like:
>
>USA_RESIDENT=YES

make.conf? Is this something I can create to assist "make"? I have yet to
see this in any of the fubar installs and it isn't in this last one.

Kernel stuff...

The initial install... This is without SMP correct? In other words, I will
need to recompile for SMP. The box is a dual PII 450.

Quote from link above again.
>Once you have everything cvsup'd, you use what you've gotten by:
>
># cd /usr/src
># make buildworld
># make installworld
># make buildkernel KERNEL=MY_KERNEL
># make installkernel KERNEL=MY_KERNEL
>
>If you haven't built a custom kernel on your current installation you can
>replace MY_KERNEL with GENERIC. If you have a custom kernel config,
>check to make sure that what you have in your kernel config file is still
>valid by looking at GENERIC and/or LINT.

So what is be best approach to doing a custom kernel? (I have zero
experience here)
Should I do the install then custom kernel (enabling SMP I hope to get this
done faster) then follow the contents of the link? Or should I follow the
text in the link then do a custom kernel?

Finally, the last bit of the link post....
>The last step is to merge in the new /etc stuff and that is most easily
>done with mergemaster. It will remind you to re-make the /dev stuff and
>don't forget to do so.

Merge? From where to /etc? This is the first time I have seen reference to
this. I would probably find out with another dozen installs. ;)

Oh, my latest install... "cd /usr/ports/www/cvsup" "make clean install"
What will this do? Why? Because I did it ;) and it has been humming along
doing its thing. It looks like I just CVSuped everything and am now
removing it all. :(

Thanks in advance for any and all help.