Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:52:43 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        chat@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confirm Your PayPal Membership

Andreas:

It's actually worse than that.

PayPal doesn't stop at wanting your credit card information.
It also hectors you to provide it with your bank account
information, and doesn't let you do most things you might
want to do with their service unless you provide it.

Providing your bank account number is very dangerous both
from a security and privacy standpoint and as a consumer
issue. While the law (at least in the United States) provides
you with good protection against fraudulent credit card
transactions, the protection against improper direct debits
from your checking account is much weaker. Your account can be
cleaned out and it can take months for you to get your money
back (if you ever do).

I don't advise that anyone sign up with PayPal. If I want
to give to the FreeBSD Foundation, I'll take the time to write
a check.

--Brett