Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:20:47 +1100
From:      Rob B <robbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2.1 on a Cabriolet?

Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I'm using a PC64 (from dmesg: "Digital AlphaPC 64 274 MHz, 274MHz") with
> three fxp cards as a firewall/router.  The machine is currently running
> 4.9-STABLE, but I imagine that I'll be needing to upgrade to 5.x at some
> time soon when that becomes the stable branch.
>
> Right now, I'm using 5-CURRENT on a few x86 servers with great success, but
> I don't want to attempt to upgrade my router until I feel fairly confident
> that I can do it without too much downtime or emergency restoral from
> backups.  So, does anyone have an opinion on whether 5.2.1 would probably be
> stable enough to upgrade at this time, or would I be better off waiting
> until 5-STABLE comes along?
>
> On the one hand, I don't want to upgrade prematurely.  On the other hand, I
> don't want to wait until the 4-STABLE brance is completely dead so that I
> have no real fallback position if I encounter some weird hardware
> incompatibility.

Kirk,

I was never able to get anything higher that 5.1-RELEASE booting on this box

I wrote:

<snip>
jumping to bootstrap code

halted CPU 0

halt code = 2
kernel stack not valid halt
PC = 7000000f0000
boot failure

There doesn't appear to be a /boot/loader.old that I can load either.

I'm in the process of trying John Baldwins floppies - see recent posings
on that

cheers,
Rob

--
A man who fishes for marlin in ponds will put his money in Etruscan bonds.

This is random quote 158 of 1254.

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5