Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:22:53 -0500
From:      "Shaun T. Erickson" <ste@smxy.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disconnecting keyboard: big trouble !?!

Steve Ireland wrote:

> This is a PS/2 thing, not an operating system thing. You really can
> fry your motherboard plugging and unplugging PS/2 devices while the
> system is powered up.

I suppose it's possible, but I know I 've never fry'd one. I'm always
unplugging and pluging mine back in. The key to getting the keyboard
re-initialized, when you plug it back in - at least under
5.2.1-RELEASE-p3 - is to change

hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"

hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x0"

in /boot/device.hints and reboot. After that, you can plug and unplug to
your heart's content. I'm told this setting may have to be made in the
kernel, requiring a custom kernel, in 4.x releases.

	-ste