Date:      Tue, 17 May 2016 16:46:53 +0200
From:      Ben RUBSON <ben.rubson@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best practice for high availability ZFS pool

<bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
>=20
> On Tue, 17 May 2016, Ben RUBSON wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Without completely isolated systems there is always the risk of =
total failure.  Even with zfs send there is the risk of total failure if =
the sent data results in corruption on the receiving side.
>>=20
>> In this case rollback one of the previous snapshots on the receiving =
side ?
>> Did you mean the sent data can totally brake the receiving pool =
making it unusable / unable to import ? Did we already see this ?
>=20
> There is at least one case of zfs send propagating a problem into the =
receiving pool. I don't know if it broke the pool.  Corrupt data may be =
sent from one pool to another if it passes checksums.

Do you have any link to this problem ? Would be interesting to know if =
it was possible to come-back to a previous snapshot / consistent pool.

I think that making ZFS send/receive has a higher security level than =
mirroring to a second (or third) JBOD box.
With mirroring you will still have only one ZFS pool.
With send/receive, you have a second / different ZFS pool / data =
"envelope", which could (I think) mitigate the "chance" of a broken / =
dead pool.
Mirror over 2 different JBOD boxes, and send/receive to a third one, is =
I think a nice solution.

However, if send/receive makes the receiving pool the exact 1:1 copy of =
the sending pool, then the thing which made the sending pool to corrupt =
could reach (and corrupt) the receiving pool...
I don't know whether or not this could occur, and if ever it occurs, if =
we have the chance to revert to a previous snapshot, at least on the =
receiving side...

Ben=