Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:00:33 -0700
From:      4Front Technologies <dev@opensound.com>
To:        Tim Robbins <tjr@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KLD support in FreeBSD/AMD64

Tim Robbins wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 03:59:06PM -0700, 4Front Technologies wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>We are trying to get Open Sound System modules compiled under FreeBSD/AMD64.
>>I looked at the /usr/share/examples/kld/cdev example and it fails to link:
>>
>>ld: cdev.kld: relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared
>>object; recompile with -fPIC
>>cdev.kld: could not read symbols: Bad value
>>
>>If I add -fPIC to the compile files (I have to remove -mcmodel=kernel and
>>-no-redzone) then the module links but running kldload cdev.ko causes:
>>
>>kldload: unexpected relocation type 7
>>link_elf: symbol copyinstr undefined
>>
>>We are seeing the same problems in our OSS modules. So is there any work
>>going on to add KLD support for FreeBSD/AMD64?
>

> FreeBSD -CURRENT supports modules on amd64, but 5.2.1-R and -current
> snapshots more than a few months old don't.
>

> Tim

Thanks Tim. I really appreciate your help. Let's hope that the -CURRENT has
fixed problems with the gcc compilers (-fPIC and -mcmodel=kernel problems) as well.

best regards
Dev Mazumdar

4Front Technologies
4035 Lafayette Place, Unit F, Culver City, CA 90232, USA.
Tel: (310) 202 8530		URL: www.opensound.com
Fax: (310) 202 0496 		Email: info@opensound.com