Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:52:03 -0400
From:      "Eric W. Bates" <ericx_lists@vineyard.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   To many dynamic rules created by infected machine

Friends run an IT business and I helped build them a firewall using ipfw.

The box has multiple interfaces; one of which is untrusted and it is
where they put suspect machines (customer boxes with high likelihood of
viruses and other evil Windoze ailments).

Their network is well protected; however there is now an inadvertent DOS
when a particularly virulent machine performs a sweep attack on some
block of IP, because we have a check-state/keep-state.

Sep 11 16:00:01 <kern.crit> hostname /kernel: ipfw: install_state: Too
many dynamic rules

Is there a way to limit the number of rules a given host can create in x
number of minutes?

Thanks for your time.
--
Eric W. Bates