Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2013 19:09:15 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg repository for ARM?

On Aug 15, 2013, at 6:46 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> ... why can't libgcrypt be marked as requiring gcc for now?

I'm presuming you'd have to make this exception just for arm, because it =
works with clang on other platforms?

But, I think this just masks the problem, because I think there's the =
bigger issue that the clang toolchain on arm appears to be broken.  In =
fact, I think there's a good argument to be made that the switch to =
clang as the default compiler shouldn't have been thrown on FreeBSD/arm =
because clang doesn't work fully there.  See, e.g., PR arm/178495 for a =
typical example.

AFAIK, a native build under clang on arm is still broken.  I have only =
been able to do a successful native build on arm, or build ports =
successfully, by using gcc as the default compiler, i.e., to set =
WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC in /etc/src.conf.

So, instead of marking ports on arm on a piecemeal basis, couldn't we =
undo the WITH_CLANG_IS_CC default setting until clang works properly?

(Hopefully, someone will reply and tell me it's fixed; I've kind of =
backed off from using my Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black on FreeBSD =
the past couple of weeks due to the broken toolchain issues.:)

Cheers,

Paul.