Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:03:57 +0100
From:      Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup <sebastian@struchtrup.de>
To:        Hexren <me@hexren.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Error in Handbook regarding Location of named configuration files.

Hexren wrote:

>URL to page: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bind9.html
>
>In the handbook it says:
>

>>Configuration files for named currently reside in /var/named/etc/namedb/ and will need modification before use. This is where most of the configuration will be performed.
>>

>In my sytsem Version 5.2.1 those configuration files are under
>/etc/namedb/ which is also the location where they should be following
>the named(8) manpage.

In FreeBSD 5.3, named per default runs in a chroot environment in
/var/named and thus seeing /etc/namedb as usual.
Manual is still right from view of named. But the system administrator
will have to edit /var/named/etc/namedb/

chrooting and chroot directory can be modified by named_chrootdir in
rc.conf.