Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:05:59 -0800
From:      Rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
Cc:        Tim Welch <freebsd-stable@thepentagon.org>
Subject:   Re: DMA errors with SATA on 5.x  [one fix]/ SATA DVD+RW

Søren Schmidt wrote:

> Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
>> At 1:01 AM -0600 12/7/04, Tim Welch wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting NID not found/DMA errors on 5-STABLE with a Seagate 200gb
>>> sata drive:
>>>
>>>    ad2: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
>>>    error=10<NID_NOT_FOUND> LBA=268435455
>>>
>>> This appears to be a result of 48-bit addressing. Any time a write is
>>> attempted to the sector above, I get multiple messages like this. It
>>> continues until I shut down. After a bit of googling I found this post:
>>>
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2004-October/008821.html
>>>

>>> and applied the change suggested. It seems to have fixed the problem,
>>> and I've had no troubles from this since Nov. 18th when I applied that
>>> patch.  I'm running an Intel 875PBZ board with the ich5 controller.
>>> The drive in question is a Seagate ST3200822AS/3.01 (as reported by
>>> dmesg). So the question is, will this patch be committed anytime soon?
>>

>> That looks like a pretty safe patch to make.  The message says he
>> just reduced the 48-bit trigger level by one:
>

> Yes, I suggested that way back on the lists, and it seems to help
> those that had this problem. I have had it for quite some time in
> ATA-mkIII here as well, and since it has no real impact otherwise I've
> committed it to -current...

Hi guys,

This is the first post I have seen on stable about SATA.  (ok, maybe I'm
not subscribed to the right lists)  Anyway I bought a brand new
beautiful Plextor DVD+RW SATA drive (PX712SA) for use on my AMD64+3800
machine.  Win XP64-beta won't recognize it, and neither will FreeBSD
5.3-RELEASE, AMD64.  I am wondering what I am doing wrong?  If you are
willing to help just email me and I can send dmesg and/or kernel config
file to you and keep it off the list.  I am using the socket 939 chip on
an Abit AV8 mobo.   Only one of the two SATA channels is used.   I have
two SCSI 160 drives, one for Windoze and one for FBSD.  So the only
thing normal IDE is used for is the floppy drive.

Thanks if you can help,

Rob.