Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:09:20 -0400
From:      Sandro Noel <snoel@gestosoft.com>
To:        gnn@neville-neil.com
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System Tree essentials UNDERSTANDING the system

On Sep 08, 2005, at 10:11 PM, gnn@neville-neil.com wrote:

> It's not original to me, I have seen whole RTOSs shipped with the
> kernel APIs and docs in the code and then extracted by a similar
> method.

i like that, approach, i was thinking that once this maping of the
system into "features"
it should be possible to have some kind of system builder.

i picked around the net for such tool, and there happens to to exist
2 somewhat worthy
applications in the "linux" world,

the infamous ALFS, that i never got to work past some point of
compilation.
and there is another one named

something in that area would be great, and features could be added to
the build scripts..
and ports could be included as features .. and so on ... i'm getting
way ahead here .
but wouldn't it be good for BSD to have such tool ?

> We ought to generate a map somehow...  Hmmm.  Have to think about
> that.

yes . that is what i was thinking about too ,
maybe some king of XML, inspired by the theory behind the ports system
i'm wondering if UML models would somehow apply here,
it could generate the XML.
i'm just throwing ideas.

> It is hard but not impossible.  It requires something most of us hate,
> work ;-) Of course work is easier when shared.

well that makes 2 of us.
let's get organized.

Sandro Noel