Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:09:44 -0500
From:      Jason Trickett <jstrickett@cogeco.ca>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   n00b questions

   Hi. I'm just learning to use FreeBSD and have a few questions. I
   noticed during my reading that a list of available packages for
   freebsd is at [1]ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/ and
   by using pkg_add -r packagename I can install new packages. I just
   noticed that some of the versions available are newer than the ones
   currently installed on my system. I tried to get the newer versions
   using pkg_add but it said I already had the latest, which I know isn't
   true (according to pkg_info). So how do I get the latest versions of
   my fav apps? I'd also like to get the latest gnome2 desktop (2.8, I
   believe) thru the packages system. I'm using the 5.3 Release.
   Also, as a n00b I was wondering if there are any customization guides
   available to help people like me get the most out of their systems,
   pertaining to graphics cards, etc. Because some of the screensavers I
   have aren't working so I assume I am missing something somewhere.
   Eye-candy info like that, for instance.
   Thanks.