Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:23:30 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Fabrice <FabriceMarchant@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loading module for sound chip SiS 7102

Fabrice wrote:

>Hi !
>
>Debian user just have installed FreeBSD 5.3.
>Seems great !
>
>But I my sound chip do not properly work.
>
>I tried to :
>
>kldload snd_...
>
>pilots one by one until I found
>snd_ich pilot that made some sound when KDE 3.3 launch
>(and suppress the error about /dev/dsp )
>
>But the sound works 2 seconds only and becomes then silently stuck !
>
>After loading pilot :
>kldload snd_ich
>
>the Sis chip seems to be seen. I get the following msg :
>
>pcm0: SiS 7012 port 0xd800-0xd63f, 0xdc00-0xdcff
>     IRQ 11 at dev 2.7 on PCI 0
>     ICH0: (GIANT_LOCKED)
>

>This SiS sound chip properly works on Debian linux on the same machine.
>But I remember that it was hard to find the right pilot with Linux...
>
>Can you give me any advice, please ?

Yea, find a better translation service... Put these in /boot/loader.conf:
sound_load="YES"
snd_driver_load="YES"
hw.snd.maxautovchans=4

After that reboot and grep dmesg (dmesg |grep -i foo) for anything
related to sound; snd, pcm, AC97, etc. Then you could check sndstat and
see what it says (cat /dev/sndstat) but it should say about the same as
dmesg (your are doing this to find out which drivers to load). The next
step now would be to test the sound system at the console, make and
install the ports cplay and splay (both are under /usr/ports/audio) then
using cplay* play some mp3s.  If you can hear music then everything's
good to go (if you still can't hear music in X then the problem is with
X or your music player, etc.) but if you still can't hear music then
post this question to freebsd questions mailing list (You could also try
changing the IRQ it uses or set PnP_OS=no in the BIOS, it should be set
to this anyways for FreeBSD!... in general, play with the BIOS settings).

*cplay's config file, you shouldn't need it but to cover all bases...,
copy and paste it to your home directory, ".cplayrc":

PLAYERS = [
    FrameOffsetPlayer("ogg123 -q -v -k %d %s", "\.ogg$"),
    FrameOffsetPlayer("splay -f -k %d %s", "(^http://|\.mp[123]$)", 38.28),
    FrameOffsetPlayer("mpg123 -q -v -k %d %s", "(^http://|\.mp[123]$)",
38.28),
    FrameOffsetPlayer("mpg321 -q -v -k %d %s", "(^http://|\.mp[123]$)",
38.28),
    TimeOffsetPlayer("madplay -v --no-tty-control
--display-time=remaining -s %d %s", "\.mp[123]$"),
    NoOffsetPlayer("mikmod -q -p0 %s",
"\.(mod|xm|fm|s3m|med|col|669|it|mtm)$"),
    NoOffsetPlayer("xmp -q %s",
"\.(mod|xm|fm|s3m|med|col|669|it|mtm|stm)$"),
    NoOffsetPlayer("play %s", "\.(aiff|au|cdr|mp3|ogg|wav)$"),
    NoOffsetPlayer("speexdec %s", "\.spx$")
    ]

I wish they'd get email working again (list server was blacklisted), Nikolas