Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:08:20 +0100
From:      "Kjell B." <homebell@telia.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Error running cvsup and portsdb

I have tried to run 'cvsup -h cvsup2.se.freebsd.org ports-supfile'
followed by 'portsdb -uU' a number of times today. They've all failed with:

<quote>
-------
Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..make:
don't know how to make describe. Stop
===> multimedia/nautilus-media failed
*** Error code 1
1 error

Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  (INDEX builds are
not supported with partial or out-of-date ports collections -- in
particular, if you are using cvsup, you must cvsup the "ports-all"
collection, and have no "refuse" files.)  If that is the case, then
report the failure to ports@FreeBSD.org together with relevant
details of your ports configuration (including FreeBSD version,
your architecture, your environment, and your /etc/make.conf
settings, especially compiler flags and WITH/WITHOUT settings).

Note: the latest pre-generated version of INDEX may be fetched
automatically with "make fetchindex".

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
failed to generate INDEX!
portsdb: index generation error
--------
</quote>

uname -a:
-----------
FreeBSD homebell.dyndns.org 4.10-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p2 #0:
Mon Oct 18 21:48:34 CEST 2004
homebell@homebell.dyndns.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HOMEBELLapmipfw  i386

/etc/make.conf:
---------------
CPUTYPE=i686
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
NOPROFILE= true
# added by use.perl 2005-02-02 22:33:28
PERL_VER=5.6.2
PERL_VERSION=5.6.2
NOPERL=yes

I have ports-all set in my ports-supfile. No refuse file. In fact, no
changes at all since the previous successful cvsup. It was successful
just a couple of days ago.

--
Kjell