Date:      Sat, 21 May 2022 00:14:35 +0200
From:      hw <hw@adminart.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  OT: Weird Hardware Problem

On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 14:21 -0400, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 11:07:32AM -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> > Yes, it was I who mentioned electrolytic capacitors. And that goes
> > about=20
> > both PS and system board (the last mostly the ones situated around
> > CPU).=20
> > The trouble is: not filtering well enough ripple on the power leads
> > of=20
> > buses.
>=20
> Since we're on the subject, will problems with capacitors appear with
> power supply that is boxed up unused?
>=20

In about 25 years, I have seen only two PSUs fail.  One was plugged up
by dust and started smoking and might have set the place on fire if the
person using the computer hadn't pulled the plug.  There is reasons why
I hate setting computers on the floor ...  The other one didn't survive
a transition from 230V to 110V, though it was rated for that range.

> I have a five year old machine that I use for working from home. I
> was
> considering collecting parts for it so if I need to fix it quickly I
> can.
> But if those parts are going to go bad on me regardless of use then
> there's
> less incentive to spend money today.

You're worrying too much.  Those collected parts will most likely go
bad through technical obsolescence and not from being used or not used.

That is when you have good hardware to begin with, like a nice
workstation from HP or Dell with ECC RAM and a Xeon in it.  If you
don't, you might get a Dell workstation (because it has basically
become impossible to get firmware from HP) used off ebay, or even a new
one.  Then you can still keep your current computer as a fallback.  But
with a new workstation, you get a warranty ...

Five years is not old for a workstation.  After about 10 years, they're
starting to get somewhat slow.  If you're planning to keep one like 5--
10 years, it's probably better to buy new because it'll cost about as
much when you start upgrading a used one.

Life is way too short for bad hardware.