Date:      Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:22:59 +0200
From:      Andreas Tobler <toa@pop.agri.ch>
To:        peterg@ptree32.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: calling/runtime convention for ppc fbsd

Hi Peter,

peterg@ptree32.com.au wrote:

>>which caling / runtime convention does fbsd ppc follow? The sysv4 from
>>SUN dated around september 1995? Or is it another one?
>

>  That's the one.

Ok.

>>Does/should it follow this convention without any exceptions?
>

>  The one exception is that long doubles are 64-bit and not 128-bit.
> OSX/NetBSD/Linux on powerpc all use 64-bit long doubles, so it
> didn't seem to make a lot of sense to follow the ABI strictly there.

OS-X does support long double with 128-bit :) At least the newer gcc's.
The os itself, well another question.

Anyway, my reason for this question is simple, if it is the ABI above
then I expect that structure passing etc. should behave the same way on
linux ppc 32-bit and freebsd 32-bit, right?

Hm, if the answer is yes, then I feel that we have some bits missing on
the fbsd gcc. (I always talk about gcc-head, otherwise I'd reference a
version)

Ok. I look into the sources then.

Thanks,
Andreas