Date:      Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:47:03 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0-Current and gcc 4.x

O. Hartmann wrote:
> Hi.
> As I see in the sources, FreeBSD 6.0-Current is still based on gcc
> 3.4.4. I think due to code freezing this version will be the platform
> compiler when 6.0-RELEASE comes out. Are there any plans using a more
> recent version of gcc, like 4.0 or 4.1? On some lists I read something
> about better support of the features of AMD64/EM64T architectures,
> especially SSE3.
>
> Thanks.
> Oliver

No, it's far too late to consider switching to gcc 4.0 for FreeBSD 6.x.
  Once we switch, there will likely be a massive amount of work to do in
the ports tree.  Given all the disruptions in the past 3 years over gcc
3.x, I think it would be nice to take a small break and not be on the
bleeding edge of gcc.

Scott