Date:      Fri, 08 Jul 2005 20:45:23 -0700
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ben Gross <ben@bengross.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: spamprobe and Berkeley DB

Ben Gross wrote:
> First, thanks for keep the port up to date. Overall, the spamprobe  port
> works well. The only issue for me is it has an old berkeley DB  port,
> db4 hard coded which is less reliable than the newer Berkeley  DB ports.
> If the Berkeley DB selection code could be ripped from  another port
> such as www/apache2, security/cyrus-sasl2 or mail/ postfix and put in
> the spamprobe port it would make it much easier to  use db42 or even db43.

A more logical approach would be to develop appropriate code for
USE_BDB/USE_BDB_VER/WANT_BDB = (3,4,41,42, maybe even 185 for base
system), and implement that in bsd.port.mk, in a similar manner to the
MYSQL and PGSQL knobs.

It could even warrant a separate bsd.database.mk file where such things
are kept, working towards having bsd.port.mk only contain the
heavy-lifting infrastructural work for the ports system as a whole.

Once the BDB knobs are implemented, it should be relatively
straightforward to sweep the tree and fix up all ports to use the same
system for Berkeley DB usage, rather than the myriad of different ways
in use now.

Fancy writing some make(1) code? :)

-aDe