Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:26:36 -0600
From:      Eric Lance <eric.lance@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Q: No login prompt on startup

 >>Hello all,
 >>
 >>I just finished installing FreeBSD 5.4 on my PC.  When i boot it
 >>normally all of the startup scripts finish, no errors are displayed but
 >>afterwards a login prompt fails to appear. If i boot in single user mode
 >>I get my '#' prompt right off the bat and can edit files. What is going
 >>on? Does my machine think I have a terminal connected to the serial
 >>port? What config file do i need to edit?
 >>
 >>I used standard install method from CD. I'm running an Nforce2 chipset
 >>and my HDD is SATA, but FreeBSD seems to be dealing with these just fine.
 >>
 >>Thank you,
 >>Eric

> what system security level did you set the os to?

The system was set to the default security level.

> I'd check /etc/ttys and make sure you have this line:
>
> ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure

That line was in my ttys.

> exactly as above. At the very least, with 'on' and 'secure' in the line.
> What's the last thing displayed on the screen, and what happens if you
> press enter?

Pounding the keyboard does nothing, i even have a console mouse. The
last thing being displayed it
      "Starting sshd daemon"

I decided i was wasting more time trying to get into the system than it
would take to just reinstall it, and so i did leaving every option on
default. Now I've got things up and running! I got X11 setup right off
the bat and i'm about to delve into wireless networking.

Thank you all for your help!
Eric