Date:      5 Sep 1995 18:04:16 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Those VM problems are *not* figments of my imagination

sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au (Stephen Hocking) writes:

>It's occuring on both my current machines, one a 486 dx2-66 with 16Mb, the
>other a 25MHz 386sx with 8Mb. Each of these has a fairly large amount of swap
>used (about 37%, or 18Mb of 50Mb). Most programs that die (and this is rather
>intermittent behaiviour) will go with a sig 10, or very rarely, a sig 8. I've
>had ftpd and login dip out on me, as well as xterm, xclock, twm and others.
>These machines are the result of a make world then config foo. The only thing
>I can think of that caused them to break is the VM stuff, as there's been
>nothing else major. Not having expended the necessary BS&T (blood sweat &
>tears) needed to under stand the VM stuff, I can't offer a useful suggestion
>as to what the problem might be wthin the code.

>	Stephen

I have not seen that, but I had a nasty experience last night that
might be related..  /bin/sh, /bin/rm and /usr/sbin/sendmail all took a
dive, causing them all to dump core with sig 10 and 11.

I dont know if any other files are affected.... :-(

I rebuilt them and redid a make install, and it cured it.

I dont know if it's related to the VM, it might have been related to
the hardware hacking we did last night, where we were trying to find
out how a soft-configured NE2000 card was set up (without the config
software).  It turns out it was on IRQ12, conflicting with the scsi
controller.  I'm not certain that stray irq's would upset the scsi
driver, as I imagine it would check the status registers etc.  The
only thing I wonder is if the scsi controller chip was doing an
unbuffered drive of the bus IRQ line, and the logic "fight" was
causing the sequencer to malfunction...

Oh well..

-Peter