Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2008 07:16:28 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
Subject:   Re: Duplex printer advice

On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:46 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> What part of:
>
> "...there was no case i found postscript to print faster...You won't
> on an
> HP printer, at least not an older one..."
>
> is not understandable?
>
> Let me repeat - on most HP printers PostScript IS SLOWER BECAUSE
> HP DESIGNED IT THAT WAY.  It is NOT slower because of some inherent
> issue with PostScript itself.
>
> Did you know that Ghostscript is used as the Postscript engine
> in a number of printers?

Only in "postscript compatible" printers such as the Brother HL-5250DN.

When Genuine Postscript is included it is ported to the printer by
Adobe. Adobe does not allow it to be crippled as conspiracy-theory Ted
claims. All genuine Postscript printers ship with similar CPUs,
originally Motorola 68000 family, for this very reason.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net