Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:32:27 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
To:        shildreth@allantgroup.com
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What type of hardware are you using?

Hi,

Scott T. Hildreth wrote:
> At home, my machine is a 1 GHZ, with 768 mb of memory.  I use xfce4,
> evolution, firefox, gnome-office, ...etc.  It seems that with every
> upgrade, the 1GHZ cpu is not enough power anymore.  I use evolution

I use two Athlons 1.2 GHz and have the feeling that the performance is
still fine but not top.

Get an SMP machine when you upgrade. It will cost more but it will feel
longer fast enough to work with. The CPU time of an indivual task is
pretty high compared to modern CPUs but the response time to user
actions is very low as the other CPU can handle this.

Erich