Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2006 01:05:22 -0800
From:      Keith Beattie <KSBeattie@lbl.gov>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up a microphone

--------------020809000609000705040605

Hello,

I'd like to try recording through the microphone both for skype and for
general audio recording but can't figure out how to get sound out of the
  microphone.

The Handbook's "7.2.2 Testing the Sound Card" section is a great set of
simple instructions for testing of playback (cat /dev/sndstat, cat
filename > /dev/dsp) but I can't seem to find an equivalent for getting
my microphone going.

Does anyone have a similar set of checks for testing microphone input?

$ uname -r
5.4-RELEASE-p3

$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-E> at io 0xb000 irq 20 kld snd_es137x (1p/1r/0v
channels duplex default)

Thanks,
ksb

--------------020809000609000705040605--