Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:45:18 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Pietro Cerutti <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Arplookup strange messages

Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> Hi list,
> today in the daily security report (periodic) of a i386 machine there
> is this message repeated about 30 times:
> +arplookup 0.0.0.0 failed: host is not on local network

 From rfc 3330:

    0.0.0.0/8 - Addresses in this block refer to source hosts on "this"
    network.  Address 0.0.0.0/32 may be used as a source address for this
    host on this network; other addresses within 0.0.0.0/8 may be used to
    refer to specified hosts on this network [RFC1700, page 4].

I think in packet filter you can specify 0/32 and it will automatically
be replaced by the ip on the relevant interface, this is useful when you
have nics configured with dhcp.

However, not all programs support this and will instead try to make an
arplookup which is bound to fail.

So first question is, what program causes this arplookup?

- Do you in your firewall rules specify 0/32?

- Do you have correctly set antispoofing?

If your firewall does not drop packets from 0/8 then it may try to send
a response to the invalid ip.

- Do you have dhcp configured somewhere for some host?

IIRC dhcp requests are sent with source 0/32 to destination
255.255.255.255/0 (rfc 2131). Your firewall may (it shouldn't, but check
anyway) incorrectly try to route it if you don't have the antispoofing
setup. If dhcp configuration fails, sometimes the interface gets
assigned the address 0/32 unless some fallback have been configured.

This could be a client on your network that is misconfigured.

> The machine is the router (ipnat) and firewall (ipfilter) for a small
> home network.
> It runs postfix, sshd and nfsd.

My guess is to take a look at your firewall rules and check if there are
any misbehaving dhcp clients.

> Since I'm away from home now, I can't sit in front of it and check
> what's wrong. Furthermore, it seams that the machine is not accepting
> ssh logins anymore, after those strange messages.

Well, then you have a problem correcting this - maybe someone can reboot
the machine for you?

Hope this helps, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org