Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:34:11 -0500
From:      Cody Baker <cody@wilkshire.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL Clustering

If you're database is simply read only then the load balancer situation
should work fine.  If your database is read/write then your load
balancer could cause you problems under certain circumstances.  If your
updates are not time critical then it should be fine.  If, however, your
databases are used for a time critical updates (ex. session data for a
web page) then it's important that your users always hit the same
database server because the replication can become delayed at times.  If
the user has a random chance of hitting any of your database servers
then for example your user may add something to their cart, and refresh
the page connecting to another server, and find the item missing from
their cart. Other no-nos for replicated databases especially on mysql <
5, are auto-incrementing fields in tables.  5.x has a solution for this
( http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication-auto-increment.html ).

Thank You,

Cody Baker
cody@wilkshire.net