Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:56:27 -0800
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        lars@gmx.at
Cc:        FreeBDS <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Thunderbird and Firefox dead after portupgrade

Lars Cleary wrote:
> Micah wrote:
>>
>> I just updated my ports collection this morning and upgraded all out
>> of date ports, including thunderbird and firefox.  Now typing
>> thunderbird or firefox on the command line does absolutely nothing.
>> firefox or thunderbird do not show up in ps (checked using ps -auwx |
>> grep firefox).  No error messages are displayed.  The only clue is
>> that the return code is 1.
>>
>> Sample session:
>> trisha% firefox
>> trisha% echo $?
>> 1
>> trisha%
>>
>> The only thing in /usr/ports/UPDATING on firefox is from 2004.
>>
>> I upgraded my ports by using the script generated by "portversion -c",
>> which uses portupgrade and just lists the names of the ports on the
>> line (eg portupgrade firefox thunderbird otherstuff).  This is on a
>> 6.0-RELEASE-p6 system.
>>
>> uname -a
>> FreeBSD trisha.eidolonworld 6.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p6 #0:
>> Thu Mar 23 19:38:49 PST 2006
>> root@trisha.eidolonworld:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TRISHA  i386
>>
>> Any clues on what's wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Micah
> Recently someone solved a problem with the same symptom by
> changing the ownership of the profiles of Firefox and Thunderbird,
> the were b0rked and couldnt' be read.
>
> Maybe that helps.
>
> Lars

Checking... All files in ~/.mozilla and its subs are owned by my user
and my user's group and have rw (x for dirs) as a minimum for user (some
have r and rw for group).  Likewise for ~/.thunderbird.  Using firefox
-P test will bring up the profile manager and allow me to create a new
profile, but the new profile is just as broken as the regular profile.
Might be an extension....  I thought there was a way to bring up
firefox/thunderbird in a "safemode" that disables all extensions, but a
firefox --help shows no such flag.

Thanks,
Micah