Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:30:15 +0200
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, Colin Percival <cperciva@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Adding a ``user'' mount option

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> What I'd like to achieve is a simple out-of-the-box way of mounting
> media such as CDs, and floppy disks without users necessarily needing to
> know about sysctl.  While I can't speak for KDE, I know GNOME already
> has the ability to detect user-mountable media, and gives the users
> icons on the desktop to mount said volumes.

I don't know what exactly you mean with 'detect user-mountable media',
but a KDE user may have desktop icons for every device/fs listed in
/etc/fstab. I assume GNOME works in a similar way. And clicking on the
icon of course will mount the media with the 'mount' command. KDE also
monitor changes to the fstab file and can open a dialog window when a
new media appears, but since the fstab file is not automatically updated
on FreeBSD (I don't know how it works exactly on Linux) this feature is
quite useless.

--
Alex Dupre