Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:41:02 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Nicolas KOWALSKI <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [patch] giant-less quotas for UFS

Nicolas KOWALSKI wrote:
> Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 04:16:27PM +0200, Nicolas KOWALSKI wrote:

>>> Does this patch improve the performance of a file server, using
>>> multiple disks, controlled by quotas, exported by NFS/Samba ?
>>>
>>> If so, I would be really interested: our file server (4.11, but
>>> perhaps 6.x soon), has some major slowdowns when one or multiple
>>> user/s exceed her/his quota ; this impact every user, even those
>>> working on another disk.
>> I don't think that patch shall have effect on this situation (quota
>> exceeded).

If you watch a tcpdump while this is happening, I'll bet you see the
client (over NFS) repeatedly trying to allocate blocks, and the server
returning ENOSPACE.  The load and cpu utilization on the server will
skyrocket while it gets hammered with requests for more space.  Not sure
what the solution is to this.

Eric