Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:29:42 -0400
From:      Stephen Clark <Stephen.Clark@seclark.us>
To:        Stephen.Clark@seclark.us,  stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.9 losing mbufs!!!

Stephen Clark wrote:

>Hello List,
>
>I know 4.9 is ancient history, but unfortunately we have several
>thousand sites installed. We are in the process of moving to 6.1 when it
>is released.
>
>Right now I have an immediate problem where we are going to install two
>system at a
>HQ site. Each of the 2 systems will have two gre/vpn/ospf tunnels to a
>100 remote sites in the
>field. The broadband will be a T3 with failover to dialup actiontec
>dualpc modems. We want
>to use FreeBSD systems rather than put in Cisco equip which is what we
>have done for other
>large customers.
>
>The problem:
>
>I have been testing between an Athlon 64 3000+ (client)  and an Athlon
>64 X2 4800+ (server) across a dedicated 100mb lan. When I use nttcp,
>which is a round trip tcp test, across the gre/vpn the client system,
>(which goes to 0 percent idle), network stack will eventually stop
>responding. In trying to track this down I find that
>net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen which is normally 50 has been reached (I
>added a sysctl to be able to look at it), but it never drains down. If I
>increase it things start working again. If I continue to hammer the
>client I see the
>intr_queue_maxlen continue to grow until it again reaches the new
>maximum. Another datapoint if I don't send the data thru the gre tunnel,
>but only thru the vpn I don't see this problem.
>
>I've looked at the gre code til I am blue in the face and can't see
>where mbufs  were not being freed when the quelen is full.
>
>If anybody could give some direction as where to look or how to better
>trouble shoot this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks for being such a great list,
>Steve

I have discovered that if I disable quaqqa/ospfd then I don't lose
mbufs! This makes it appear
that the mbuf leak is in the multicast routing logic. In fact I lose
mbufs even with the both system basically idle but with a 100 vpn/gre
with multicast going on thru the gre then the vpn.

Any ideas on where to focus my continued investigation?

Thanks to everybody who has responded.

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)