Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2021 20:13:15 -0700
From:      Weaver <weaver@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OS to replace FreeBSD
References:  <20210319101040.00005c35@seibercom.net> <CA%2BD9QhsjLtVui6exPDyG2CO5H8X-=YckFjCehHusG7eH_kk2sg@mail.gmail.com> <6054BE1B.50706@gmail.com> <20210319130249.000042a1@seibercom.net> <5a8cf0be-646a-a433-2428-9700a47c1bf0@att.net> <20210319140448.00007521@seibercom.net> <c9ca4862-199a-5c6b-1282-18cc32d3486f@johnea.net> <20210319213214.4f8ddf55@archlinux> <CAGBxaXnwqXMBjp0i6Qd6SzbjCq13wFPOo1mjMUucNKw%2BPC1KFw@mail.gmail.com> <259fba3aa7665be79a056fb9f5bc1825@riseup.net> <CAGBxaXnbovsb7g9OghJ5g70zcDROuFV1YWmgMtG3ipDuU19Ngg@mail.gmail.com> <a6e255faf994fd6cb1f07849cca0412a@riseup.net> <CAGBxaXmUTNV4%2BxWzWE0x_rYFZnniskeAxfn68khumdMaUE_XDg@mail.gmail.com> <a8707a965a080d0d362f8a01ea5ce652@riseup.net> <CAGBxaX=Z1hZM5-qyy2uFC7cGoZG=oyrSpYhtEcoO3n9ZVOZZAw@mail.gmail.com> <06d8d9ae876bbdaf11fe7691fd2d4fad@riseup.net> <CAGBxaXnuuZ-NhbVRTnSS=WhkNJ=B8AguopXN0fJ14dZBX9mA4A@mail.gmail.com>

On 20-03-2021 12:31, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 10:06 PM Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> On 20-03-2021 11:20, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>>> I am convinced you don't know how to read or don't read what you
>> quote
>>> because nothing in what I said was setting standards.... For
>> example I
>>> never said that you couldn't use Unix for simple stuff like word
>>> processing (or latex in your case).... If anything you're the one
>> who
>>> assumes it the only OS that can do that stuff.... But there are
>> plenty
>>> of technical/math editors for all OS's now you saying that
>> "latex/xml"
>>> is the only way to do it (you're own words btw) just doesn't know
>> what
>>> options are available and on what platforms.... If you don't
>> believe
>>> me about libreoffice for math editing for example I went back to
>>> school (100% online course work) about 15 years ago and did all my
>>> math homework (including some pretty hairy matrix math and
>>> differential equations) using the equation editor in libreoffice
>> (it
>>> has only gotten better since then)...   Am I forcing you to use it
>> or
>>> anything else no but you are saying that latex/xml is the only
>> way...
>>> so who is setting standards?   (not me)
>>
>> No I didn't say anything like that.
>> Now you're distinctly bending reality.
>
> Yes you did say just that when you implied that you use Unix for latex
> only and that no other OS was suitable.

No, I didn't.
I neither said nor implied.

>>> For your purposes modern Windows systems are just as fast/solid
>
> First what part of "your purposes" is not clear?!?!  You are not doing
> high-end client-server, embedded systems or anything else that Unix is
> uniquely well suite for your doing glorified word processing.... so
> for your purposes (not some other purpose) Windows is just as fast and
> solid as any OS.
>
>> If that were right, it would be employed by the New York and London
>> stock exchanges and the International Space Station, but it isn't.
>> I can't even begin to imagine what a frozen screen would mean up
>> there.
>
> 1. The ISS *DOES* use Windows for end user applications (which is what
> it good at) and uses Unix for the control systems (which it is good
> at):
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/03/15/why-does-the-iss-use-windows-os/?sh=20fa6b3e6926
> 2. Like the ISS the NYSE uses both Windows and Unix with Unix doing
> the *INFRASTRUCTURE* and Windows being the most common UI traders and
> other staff use to interface to the trading system
> https://www.quora.com/Why-do-traders-all-use-PCs-besides-the-fact-that-there%E2%80%99s-a-ton-of-software-that-is-PC-only
>  (it should be noted that the super fast high speed trading machines
> usually have *NO* OS on them since that would add a few microseconds
> of overhead which is completely unacceptable for HFT)
>
>>> (security is still the one area Unix is still better)... But for
>> stuff
>>> like webapps there really is no real alternative then Unix because
>> of
>>> it's infrastructure/backend origins and focus.... So yes the only
>>> place where I might be setting standards is in areas where there
>> are
>>> no real alternatives except the "standard" way of doing things...
>>>
>>> That is not to say that Unix is the "right" way to do those things
>> and
>>> for most non-development work it is not the "right" way due to not
>>> having "no assembly required" pre-canned solutions for said tasks
>>> while Windows does.
>>
>> If that were true, I wouldn't be doing things the way I do.
>> I have yet to see a LaTeX presentation level produced by Word, and
>> doubt
>> I ever will.
>
> I never said word I said Libreoffice (the fact you said word is one
> reason why I say you don't read).   Libreoffice does support LaTex.

You're more convoluted in a conversation than a corkscrew.

>> It's also better for presentation of math equations, one of the
>> reasons
>> it was created in the first place.
>
> Latex was actually created by Knuth originally because he used a very
> unorthodox notation in "The Art of Computer Programming" that no
> existing equation editor at the time (or even now) supports and thus
> instead us using standard CS notation he went down a 10 year rabbit
> hole making LaTex.

I think you're capable of creating any alternate reality in order to
endorse your philosophies of convenience.
There's nothing further to discuss, here.
Cheers!

Harry

--
`The World is not dangerous because of those who do harm but
 because of those who look on without doing anything'.