Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:51:47 +0200
From:      Jon Otterholm <jon.otterholm@ide.resurscentrum.se>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "smart" switch recommendations?

Eric Anderson wrote:
> Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
>> We are looking to buy a new smart (aka a dumbed-down managed)
>> switch.
>>
>> I read the recent Tom's Hardware review [1] of the Netgear
>> FS728TS, and price- and feature-wise it looks like what we need
>> EXCEPT THAT the setup utility is Windows-only and the web gui
>> doesn't display properly in Firefox, two show-stoppers for us.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> [1] http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/03/13/netgear_fs728ts/
>

> The netgear products we've used are mediocre at best.  We've been
> buying a lot of Dell switches, and they seem to be pretty decent.
> They might be a bit more expensive though.
>
> With managed switches, you often get what you pay for.
not allways, sometimes less and sometimes more.

> Eric

For standard managed switches we use Dlink and HP. Dlink 3526/3550 and
HP 2600 have the most in functionality for the SMB access layer at an
unbeatable cost.
We also use Dlink DGS3324SR on some backbone sites where Gigabit,
JumboFrame and >250 802.1Q are required.

/Jon