Date:      Sat, 08 Jul 2006 07:52:53 -0700
From:      Robert McIntosh <mcintoshrt@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HD Errors

OK,

It's a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB ATA/133 hard drive (EIDE).  It's
in a Dell Dimension P133v.  I also have a Dell Optiplex GX1 which only
supports a hard drive of 80 GB max.  This machine is at least as old as
the optiplex, so it's likely to support at most 80 GB as well, not 120 GB.

I ran Maxtor's HD Diagnostic tools on the drive and the test, with the
exception of the long, full test, came back as "passed".  So, I have
reasonable confidence that the problem isn't the drive.

FreeBSD says during drive formatting that there may be weird errors for
drives misreporting size.  Are the errors that I'm seeing likely
reflective of this?  What should my concern level be?

Thanks again,
Robert