Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:21:19 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?VsOhY2xhdiBIYWlzbWFu?= <V.Haisman@sh.cvut.cz>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, delphij@delphij.net, mag@intron.ac
Subject:   Re: kern/99979: Get Ready for Kernel Module in C++

--------------enig18E5729BA044AC2C766A8AE3

Julian Elischer wrote, On 10.7.2006 21:45:
> mag@intron.ac wrote:
>=20

> While the idea of using C++ in the kernel made me very nervous,
> I have seen some places where an official subset might be useful.
> is it worth having a discussion about what features of C++ (or modular =
C)
> we would want to support and what would remain "illegal" in the kernel?=

>=20
> Inherritance would be noce but there are traps.. e.g.
> How do you cope with classes depending on superclasses that may be from=

> a different
> module and may have been compiled at a different time?
> (i.e. the base structure may have changed)
Binary compatibility is always a problem, no mater the language used.
Besides, doesn't the FreeBSD kernel build system always compile all modul=
es?

Deciding that some features are bad beforehand, before you evaluate them
is IMO bad idea. Let interested people write a bunch of C++ modules with
the complete language before deciding on what shouldn't be used.

My $0.05...
--
Vaclav Haisman