Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:39:11 -0700
From:      Pete Slagle <freebsd-questions@voidcaptain.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3?= <nagylzs@enternet.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IMAP server alternatives

Nagy L=E1szl=F3 wrote:

> Are there any alternative IMAP servers that have good support (e.g.=20
> working mailing list, up-to-date documentation), and can share IMAP=20
> folders between users?

I was a satisfied courier-imap user for several years. A few months ago
I switched to dovecot because it is faster in my installation.
(Transition was easy using maildir with both.)

Both have active developers.

> courier -- uses the maildir format, but I'm not sure about sharing

Works great, bullet-proof in my experience.

> dovecot -- early stages of development, can I trust in this?

Also works great. Easier configuration than courier-imap. Significantly
more responsive than courier-imap with Thunderbird clients here using
IMAP only. Seems very solid; zero problems in first few months of use.