Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:02:19 -0400
From:      Rich Demanowski <richd@RichDPhoto.com>
To:        freeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Enabling sound?

I just dropped a SoundBlaster Live! card into my box, and have followed
the directions in the handbook and the man pages.

The following lines are in the compiled kernel:
    device sound
    device snd_emu10k1

I don't get the pcm0 lines that section 7.2.2 in the manual talks
about.  cat /dev/sndstat returns:
    FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
    Installed devices:
and nothing else.

kldload snd_emu10k1 yields no output whatsoever.  When followed by cat
/dev/sndstat it produces the same outputs as above.

kld_load snd_driver yields:
    ppc0: parallel port not found.
    sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0x20
    sio1: port may not be enabled
    ppc0: parallel port not found.
    sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
    sio1: port may not be enabled
    ppc0: parallel port not found.
    sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
    sio1: port may not be enabled
    ppc0: parallel port not found.
    sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
    sio1: port may not be enabled
    ppc0: parallel port not found.
    sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
    sio1: port may not be enabled
    ppc0: parallel port not found.
    sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
    sio1: port may not be enabled
    ppc0: parallel port not found.
    sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
    sio1: port may not be enabled

I recompiled with the sound and emu10k1 drivers commented out, and the
kldload and cat /dev/sndstat commands still yield the same.

I need to get sound enabled on this box, so I can do some online
training provided through streaming video.  Please, please, please tell
me I don't have to break down and install wankers on this thing ...