Date:      16 Jun 2000 17:28:01 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How much machine do i need?

Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com> writes:

>                                                          A P90 running
> x-windows with 16MB of memory will be a long ways down on the
> performance chart. X needs around 48MB and I wouldn't try it on a
> system with less than 64MB.

My, how our standards have changed.  I ran FreeBSD and X on a 486 with
16MB of RAM back in 1984, and when Windows 95 came out, I noticed that
the FreeBSD/X environment was noticeably faster than Windows on the
same hardware.  Current versions of FreeBSD and X are slightly larger,
but run roughly as quickly, as they *ever* did on that hardware.  And
that system was fairly speedy when I got it in 1993.

So I would say that the ability of an early Pentium to run FreeBSD as
a workstation is not that bad -- it's really just a question of your
standards.